Sunny Day

Sunny Day

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

When They Are Ready, They Tell You

I am the kind of parent they call "accommodating."
I have taken cues from my daughter, believing, that she will tell me when she is ready for the next step, and at every step, she has.  For me, this takes a lot of patience and willingness to listen and wait.  I don't believe that anything needs to be forced.  Children are the most natural of beings... they do not lie, they do not deceive, they can not be spoiled, they can not be loved enough... and they know exactly what they need and when they need it, if we just listen and watch.  And just today, like many other days in this process of motherhood, I witnessed another example.

Lately, Juna's been a little reluctant to put on diapers, so tonight, I told her, "When you are ready to use the big potty like mama and dada, you won't need to wear diapers." She jumped off the couch, went into the bathroom and asked to get on the potty, which we did and she tried several times to go... then jumped off and checked, but apparently she didn't have to go... so then, she runs to the other bathroom, thinking, I suppose, that that was the magic potty that would make her go, and tried again. I think this girl just told me she is ready for potty training!

No comments:

Post a Comment