Sunny Day

Sunny Day

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Things I've Learned Along the Way Or Wish That I had Known: Advice for Pregnancy and New Mothers

PREGNANCY
1.  Two weeks before due date... REST REST REST!  Seriously!  Tell yourself every morning that you might wake up at midnight that night and labor for two days... then nap and go to bed early... everything else you have to do, can wait!  NOTHING is more important then this.  You are about to do the hardest job in your whole life, your body needs to be rested to have the strength you'll need to carry you through.
2.  My childbirth class prepared me more than anything else.  We did Birthing From Within.  I felt completely prepared and ready.




GIVING BIRTH
1.  This is what got me through the 6 hours of active labor.  I said this during each of my 60-some contractions, "This won't last.  It's almost over."
2.  Trust your body.  Your body knows what to do.  And if something unexpected does happen...
3.  Research all the possibilities.  So, if complications do arise you can still be in control and make the best decisions possible, during the birth and after.

Birthing gown was the only thing I brought that I actually used.  A super packed fridge, freezer and snacks that you can just grab!  It can be very difficult to remember to eat!  I got a bunch of baskets and put them in every room of the house, with diapers, wipes, etc. (the changing table was too scary for a newborn, and sometimes you need stuff pronto!)  I also lived out of a basket of comfy clothes I put in the bedroom, I could just grab them when I woke).  Carrier & Moses Basket (again little babies can be scared in big cribs & then she could sleep where ever I was).


THE NEWBORN
1.  NOTHING is more important than baby.  Let go.  Stop worrying about the house and the laundry.
2.  Ask for advice.
3.  Don't listen to advice.
4.  Support group of new mothers

THE MOTHER
1.  Take care of yourself.  Yep, everyone says it... but it is difficult to do.  I'm still figuring this on out.



No comments:

Post a Comment